Saturday, February 28, 2009

facebook Discussions

Again, these are posts from facebook. If ARC or anyone has a problem regarding the posting of these discussions please contact me, and I can take down the threads. I have removed names to ensure privacy.

My issue is, most people are coming to this blog WANTING information posted, or at least updates, even though I have asked to be on the email list, that has not happened. If a blog is to be effective, then information must be at hand. Invitations have gone out to others if they wish to post.

I encourage people to join the facebook group, but also can understand due to facebook's TOS, that some people do feel uncomfortable.

I have taken the liberty of posting these discussions here. The "I" is not my writing, these are personal views, and not necessarily mine.

____________________________________________________________________

Excellent posts made. Completely agree with all your points. I like "We just have a bigger back yard now". That is, if the "community school" proposal goes through. As for a middleschool of 7,8,9, (a few posts down) well, as someone mentioned at the ARC meeting, schools would still have to be closed. Don't quote me but wasn't that two schools that would be closed in that scenario (a scenario of just a middle school, not with Grade 9's)? Also, if every child is going to the same school and are "clustered", their friends would most likely be in the same "cluster". Classes change even in the small community schools, some are put into split classes, some are not. This gives shy children opportunity to make new friends as well as keep old ones and branch out. Some of my daughter's best friends were made at Brownies and Guides, and camps, not at school.


wroteat 10:32pm on February 21st, 2009
Knowing our neighbours does not happen because of the schools it happens because we get involved in our communities. It means we, the adults take the extra step to get to know one another and invite our communties to us.


wroteat 10:32pm on February 21st, 2009
Knowing the classroom sizes can NOT be larger than what they are now gives me piece of mind. As much I can appreciate that children bond through school I also know children who are relentlessly bullied and have taken some unfortunate extremes to end the taunting by their classmates. Having alternative classrooms may assist in ending one child's misery. Children have the ability to make friends. We as parents are responsible in finding ways to support those friendships. It may means sleep overs and play dates. Being in class should not be the only means of creating a lasting friendship. In my opinion having more student to learn from and to relate to creates many more opportunities for our children to grow as individuals and also gain important lessons. Our small communities that we are trying to save are still small communities. We just have a bigger backyard now.

wroteat 10:26pm on February 21st, 2009
The push behind was idea was simple, to show the board we are united in not wanting our children to go to high school before they should. It should them that our tax dollars in small towns are no different than tax dollars spent somewhere else. We wanted to give them an alternative, which in my opinion is a great idea but more importantly it forces a new plan of action then sending our children to high school.I completely understand you reservations about the children who do not adjust well in new places, I also have a son who had a difficult time adjusting. My son also relies on assistance as he struggles with his fine and gross motor skills. I have to wait on our schools turn to have access to the people needed to assist him. This wait would be shorted for him and the center being newer and more accessible would mean my son's needs would be met as the problems arose, rather than catered to when our school had enough of a problem to warrant attention.


wroteat 3:20pm on February 21st, 2009
I'm curious as to how they would handle all of the children for each grade throughout the years. For example, I have an extremely shy child (it's taken him 5 months to get used to a small day care center). So when he goes into pre-kindergarten, kindergarten, etc. are his classmates going to change every year so that he has to start all over again making new friends. Part of what was nice growing up in a small school was that you could make friends, best friends and get to stay with them throughout your elementary years. I think it would be really tough on the younger kids (up to say grade 5) to have to get separated every year. It would put unneeded stress on them which would make it harder to learn. Anyone know how that would work??

(Toronto, ON) wroteat 2:03pm on February 21st, 2009
Sorry.. They should have more than one plan! When we moved to the area it was because of the small town ideas of having the kids walk to school etc... I suggested at one of the meetings I'm in favor of a Jr. High School for grade 7-8-9 ... Worked well for our over crowding problem in the states...More ideas please don't put all your backing behind a idea without looking at every option and making a educated decision based on facts.

wroteat 11:45am on February 17th, 2009
At the meeting they clarified that they would be lay offs since they would not be requiring four secretarys, four principles, four janitors, etc. But they also indicated that if you are a teacher you work for the board of education, which means you may be placed anywhere within their district. So if someone who has worked there for 10 years doesn't get a job at the "super" school then they could be transfered somewhere else....which would lead me to believe that job placement is based on seniority.....but I could have misread their coment.


wroteat 1:10pm on February 9th, 2009
I should clarify my last comment. I want teachers to realize it's a privilege to teach, not a right. Therefore, defacto jobs in my opinion, would follow the status quo. Unfortunately, this school will not be for my children if it goes through, but for the children whom it will impact, let us hope that a hiring process and not automatic placement happens for teachers as well as principals.
Delete

wroteat 1:05pm on February 9th, 2009
I just hope, that all everyone has to go through an actual hiring process, and doesn't get there by "de facto".
Delete
wroteat 7:58pm on February 6th, 2009
With so many schools closing, not sure what happens to all their jobs? I know there will be more classrooms etc but I am not sure what that will mean for the part-timers??


wroteat 12:46pm on February 6th, 2009
I may be jumping the gun again, but I am wondering about teachers and principals. . . would existing teachers be automatically be employed, or would there actually be an application process. . . .
Delete

wroteat 9:19am on February 6th, 2009
This new school is not only providing our children with a building of excellence it is giving them a beginning to a modern future. One that staff have a willingness to fight to teach in, one that they can demonstrate their skills because of the resources available. Because our numbers are small does not indicate a lack of intelligence nor does it define what our children are entitled to. Lets not allow our small communities to be small minded because of our location. Lets think big and give our children the biggest chance of all for the best education possible.

(Kitchener, ON) wroteat 5:59pm on February 5th, 2009
For those that want to see the Presentation, you can see it by clicking on the following link:http://www.amdsb.ca/accommodation/CENH-Arc/documents/CENH-ArcPresentation.pdf
Report

(Kitchener, ON) wroteat 3:37pm on February 5th, 2009
When and where should I go to hear the newest ideas on the proposal?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this,I am not on FB so it is interesting and informative to see what is going on.

Anonymous said...

I don't believe this school is the best, we should just be upgrading our present schools. I don't want my kids bused and have to drive to Wingham if there is an emergency or my kids are sick.

I dont think this school will actually happen either.

Lisa Bieman said...

Welcome both Anonymous and North Huron.

Anon: Thank you for your post.

North Huron: Thank you for your post as well. This idea has not even been (as far as I know at this moment) proposed to the Board yet. So it is not necessarily going to be the "solution" that many are hoping for.

That being said, with the numbers given, financially, keeping schools open, the price tag to keep them open is quite a bit. Also, in the near future, all of these schools that could be on the chopping block need to be deemed as accessible, which is a huge cost to be incurred with upgrades. It seems to me that this is akin to putting a velvet bow on a pre-chewed piece of gum.

As I have stated to others, we moved to a small town that offered a public school, a doctor and a drug store. The only thing that is left is the public school, and it is substandard, compared with other facilities :(

I think the best we can do as a community is keep an open mind, and if the money is there for infrastructure upgrades through the province, than it may be best to take advantage of it. It may mean busing, it may mean that your child is not in town. Yet it could possibly mean that your child is getting the best opportunities that this area has to offer, be it a new facility, new teachers, new administration, and a more upbeat morale :)